9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Add Reply
New Poll

Providence RP 8.15.2016 Update, Notes and Reflections
Amemarteau
 Posted: Aug 15 2016, 08:29 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau
Admin • Executive Producer

Hello everyone! This is Amemarteau, delivering God’s judgement from down high upon you unworthy sinners. Or maybe just some “patch notes” marking changes to Providence.

After our Season Zero and first ever Summer Pitch, we are now on a course to opening all possible systems and utilities to our members. This includes primarily Circles, which have just begun taking up memberships, and their leaders will soon have the opportunity (and responsibility) to work with admins in developing Circle Episodes for our upcoming Season 1.

In development parlance, this is our first true opening out of ‘Beta’. But in reality, managing an RP site is a continuous learning process and rules and systems will always be under scrutiny and open to changes. We hope not to make too many, however!

But at the moment, here are some big changes:

Achievements:
Several of the available achievements have changed. The details and reasons are below:
  • CHANGES
    • Supporting Cast and A Star is Born are now earned via having 15 and 30 threads, respectively. They no longer are based on participating in missions.
    • Guide is changed from needing a mission with new members, to having roleplayed with new members in 5 separate threads. However, you must already have an achievement for said threads to count (i.e. your character is D+ rank and up.
    • Series Regular and Fan Favourite now require Scenes/Threads, rather than Missions.

The gist of these changes is that “Missions” no longer are part of the progression system. The big reason for this is the difficulty in finding a good ground for defining what a mission really is, without being so restrictive that all missions are similar to one another. Unhappy with this, I decided to cut the concept out entirely.

• THE FATE OF MISSIONS
    You are more than welcome to post up big plots and excursions with sign ups to get people involved. This is still a great way to get a group of people going into wild adventures. But it is no longer a special requirement for any achievements. They are threads just like anything else. The subforum will remain in the Personal Plot area for the time being, alongside Circles. I encourage everyone to make missions and explore Providence together!

Episodes, however, are special. They are threads based in the central arc of Providence, the Seasons. They are supervised by the admins, and thus a little more standardization to them. “Circle Episodes” are episodes in a season that cater specifically to a single Circle, and will be directed/GM’d/authored by the circle leader.

All achievements you have earned for your characters so far will be grandfathered in. Don’t worry about us revoking any achievements. However, you will not be allowed to earn the achievement again if you do complete their new requirements.

CIRCLES
Circles are now live! Folks have already been making their first circles and recruiting. I urge all of you to either start or join a circle, as playing outside of one is going to be a bit tricky. More on that later. The following are some do’s and don’t’s I want to re-iterate about Circles:
  • You may NOT be in more than one circle, either as a leader or follower.
  • You MAY be of the same rank as the leader, but you may NOT be of higher rank. The ‘+’ matters! Only the letter rank matters.
  • You MAY limit membership of your circle, but keep in mind bigger circles will have priority in Season plots. Very small circles may even be asked to band together with a larger circle for a Circle Episode.
  • You MAY have more than one of your own character in a single circle, if you wish. But please do not make a circle of only your own characters.
Soon, once Season 1 is outlined, Circle Leaders will also be asked to develop Episodes related to their circle. These Circle Episodes have an extra benefit of giving their stars a bonus talent!

THE FUTURE: SEASON 1, THE FALL PITCH, THE UNKNOWN
Let’s talk about some stuff to look forward to in the near future:
  • SEASON 1 - REFLECTING ON SEASON 0
    Season 0 was open to anyone to join, but the gates closed after about a week and newcomers could not participate. In truth, I did not expect n the slightest for Providence to have grown so fast, and it was made immediately apparent this process won’t work. Here are a few advance notices about Season 1 and how it will operate:

First of all, there will be a limited number of slots in the admin-run Episodes. They will be similar to the way Missions are set up, where there may be only five slots with up to a dozen or more applicants. Other Episodes from admins may also strictly cater to new members who arrive in between Episodes.

Secondly, Season 1 will not be a continuous, “single-day” plot. We are aiming for a more overarching story that lasts around six months, with Episodes more spaced out in the chronology. This will allow folks to hop in at different times, as well as allow all of you not to worry (as much) about consistency in your character’s timeline.

Furthermore, we are reinstating requiring an X-rank Episode in order to be eligible to reach X-rank! That means, in order to go from C to B or anything similar, you MUST take part in a relevant Episode. Circle Leaders can only assign Episodes to their own letter rank, so they will always need to go into an admin-run Episode to get stronger. And keep in mind, if you are the same rank as your circle leader, you will need to look elsewhere too!

• FALL PITCH 2016 – NOVEMBER 1
    Mark it down! Just like in August, it will allow you to request a new talent and apply for new achievements!

But be warned: don’t forget there is a limit to how many talents a person can have, depending on their rank. If you have a D-rank character who earned an achievement in the Summer Pitch, and are looking to get one in the Fall Pitch, you need to make sure they can also rank up to at least D+!

As well, given the need for Season Episodes to be eligible to rank up by a letter grade, that means there is a limited amount of space to actually rank up. We will try to give every player a real chance to have a character as strong as they can be, but at the same time it may be unlikely to ever have more than one of your own characters rank up at the same pace.

• THE FUTURE
    Providence should not just be about missions and scary enemies and apocalyptic battles of chaos and order. Heroes need downtime too, and I would love to see big events, festivals, and parties show up on the horizon! If you want help organizing some activities for a big event, or even just an OK from staff to throw a festival, I am sitting here waiting to give one. user posted image

And there you have it! Thank you all for being a part of this site. I am absolutely beside myself at the level of support, commitment, and overall grand times you've all shared with us on this site. I never expected we'd see 7000 posts in just four months. I didn't even know if Providence would make it to four months! Every day I want to do all that I can to make Providence better. Please, never hesitate to ask something from us or bring up concerns in the way something is.

-Amemarteau

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Aug 16 2016, 02:09 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau
Admin • Executive Producer

ADDENDUM

So, after popular demand and realizing it's just extra work for everyone, the '+' bit no longer matters for Circles. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Keep in mind though, that a C+ is closer to ranking up than a C is, by definition, and if they choose to do so then they will have to leave the circle. ):
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry