9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Closed
New Poll

02. Story Synopsis
Amemarteau
 Posted: Apr 9 2016, 05:07 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau
Admin • Executive Producer

Introduction

Imagine waking up in a lucid dream. The world seems to bend to your very thoughts and whims. What you believe and what you expect may very well come true. But now, suppose there are other people inhabiting this same dream. People with different, or perhaps similar beliefs. Now imagine, as these people come together, that cause and effect is determined essentially by majority rule.

This world, which people have come to name Providence, was created by a person known as the Benefactor. The Benefactor created this world to lure a dangerous adversary into his world of dreams: an entity he calls Chaos. Entropy Manifest. A force of indiscriminate destruction whose sole intent is to consume all of the multiverse.

But the Benefactor cannot act in his own world. Instead he must rely on outsiders, bringing them to Providence to fight this epic battle. That is where you come in: you are transported to this world from elsewhere, and are asked a simple task. Defeat Chaos, by any means necessary.

You do not remember your past very well. You do not remember those moments before you were brought to Providence. You may even struggle to remember your own name. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill beside a small village. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, to your soul, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had.

And that is it. The rest is up to you. Carve your own path to victory, and define for yourself what it means to be a hero. Or perhaps, you have other plans in mind...

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Apr 9 2016, 05:18 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Lore: Awakening

narrated by the Steward

At first, I thought I was the only one in this small world. I remembered nothing but a dream - a dream of a masked man asking me a quest I did not believe I could fulfill. I didn’t understand it at the time; all I knew was I did not know where I was, and that the nearby ring I found on the broken stone floor was mine.

I remember the first time I used my ring. A loose stone fell from the ceiling of the castle. As it came to my head, I threw up my arm in desperation and a shimmering shield protected me. The stone crumbled around me, and somehow, I felt confidence. I felt more… myself.

That village by the castle is my home. I built the first shelter there, at the foot of the ruins. I protected it with my ring. Weeks later, more people arrived, and I helped them build shelter around me too. We would forage for food, until we learned we could just… imagine it all.

We then imagined a real town. Something small, something realistic for ourselves, but something we could call home and expand for others. We named the village Providence, and it’s by my power that the creatures of this world are kept from within its walls.

What I do, I do for the sake of this village. It is not just my home, but my responsibility. I am strong, but my strength comes in protecting this hamlet. That is why I must stay behind in this fight: to give shelter. To provide a haven. To bring providence to those lost at their first steps into this strange world.

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Apr 24 2016, 03:08 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Lore: The Village of Providence

narrated by the Steward

Welcome to Providence. Originally we would call just the town Providence, but we have gotten used to calling this entire world Providence. It’s somewhat fitting, as our Benefactor created it to intervene against evil. That, and “Big Ben” never bothered to name the world himself.

At first, we has just a couple of houses and an Inn. The Inn was where new people would come and sleep, but it was also a place for meetings. We made the ground floor very large so that we could fit a good 500 or so people in it when needed. Forward-thinking!

I used to run the Inn, but since given up that job to focus on the hamlet’s security and overall administration. Turns out it’s hard to run a whole town by yourself. Still, the Inn has most of the resources needed to help any excursionist. Medicine, lodging, meeting, and food. We since expanded it with a garden as well.

Around the Inn, we tried to centralize everything. We have a blacksmith, some general stores and shops… most everything is done by bartering and trades, rather than with actual currency. Parts from monsters or rare artefacts found in the Edgelands are quite valuable, and typically are used to bolster Providence’s defences or be crafted into useful tools for adventurers.

Whenever we can, we try to expand the village by walling off more land from the nightmares beyond. That’s why much of the city is contained in this web of walls - they are the marks for progress — Each time we expanded. Still, it’s a gradual process and we are against heavy resistance. We need more help if we are going to accommodate any more people from the Benefactor.

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Apr 24 2016, 03:13 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Lore: The Edgelands

narrated by the Steward

The Edgelands are what we call whatever is not part of Providence, basically. It’s so named because it is the border between our safety in Providence and the realms infested with Chaos. Most of the time, adventurers go into the Edgelands to complete a task and promptly return.

There’s little known of the Edgelands, even by those who’ve visited them. You see, each time is different: The whole world seems to shape itself after your own image. If you and your immediate group expect a massive tree in the middle of a forest, eventually you will find one. But others may instead find a swamp.

The Benefactor told me that, because our imagination and force of will shape this world, its exact geography is wholly dependent on what people believe or expect it to be. So, things like the forest and mountains will always be a forest and mountains, but the details are always in flux.

Basically, the further you move away from Providence (which is well-structured since everyone is familiar with it and takes on only the commonly accepted elements), the stranger the world can be. Every time you venture out a distance, it’s a new frontier.

Unfortunately, it’s not so simple to try and think positive thoughts and hope the world changes for the better. The farther from a hub, the closer you are to Chaos’ influence. Thus danger goes hand in hand with the unknown.

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Apr 24 2016, 03:17 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Lore: The Fallen Keep

narrated by the Benefactor

In truth, I cannot tell how the ruins came to be. Once upon a time, as I created this world, there was a brilliant castle. It was meant to be the seat of power, your seat of power. From this castle I would launch my assault on Chaos.

Sadly, it did not come as planned. Perhaps it was immediately when Chaos entered this realm, that the keep became a broken husk. Perhaps it is now a symbol of our struggle, between myself and Chaos. As you arrive in the daytime, I strengthen my forces. But as night falls, the unknown and the uncertain lays siege and infests its walls.

Even as the first champions came to this world, they were met with crumbling stairs, broken doors, and a collapsed ceiling revealing the unobstructed light of day. Perhaps if... when… we defeat this chaos, we may rebuild this castle together. A seat of peace and victory, rather than a seat of continual war.

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: May 19 2016, 05:36 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Lore: The Gods and Myths

narrated by the Benefactor

A somewhat amusing consequence of the world of imagination, is the power of belief and faith. Although people generally do not remember themselves, their knowledge of their old world’s legends and myths often remains. Even if they did not believe, necessarily, of these gods’ existence prior, it seems these deities may come to life all the same.

In effect, it would seem every single pantheon imaginable, by definition, becomes a reality within this universe. One would think the power of deities is enough to stop Chaos; sadly, they are only as powerful as suggestion and simulation: although they may affect people, even physically, they are still just convincing illusions at the very base of it all.

Still, it is exciting to see young men and women interact with these divine forces. I have seen some grow in confidence and strength simply because this projection of their faith assured them with a ‘blessing’! As unreal as they are, do not doubt the power of the mind over matter, especially in a world already catered to such.

(Admin’s Note: Essentially, despite being in a unique world, pantheons and divine creatures may be treated as a reality. “Every religion was right” is a safe way to put it. The only major caveat is that because it is all still a matter of the imagination and belief, these deities cannot affect meaningful change on the landscape or story of the world of Providence.)

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Aug 6 2016, 05:18 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Lore: Generations of Providence

narrated by the Innkeeper

Eventually, it dawns that we do not age in Providence. Our bodies are timeless, and our minds only grow as we grow in power and strength of will. While it answers why there are no old folks in Providence, it obfuscates the true age of this world.

Apparently, even the Benefactor could not tell you exactly how old Providence is. But he does know it has been decades. The Stewardess, bless her more studious efforts, has estimated she has lived in this world for sixty years. Despite looking older, I have only been in this world for about thirty.

People aren't expected to know exactly how long they've survived, but what generation you are, as a ring bearer, is easily figured. While, in a short time scale, people seem to trickle into the world at a steady pace, this is not true in the span of many years. When the population of ring bearers gets too low, the Benefactor will escalate his efforts. Obviously, this means that generations are divided by genocidal disasters.

The Stewardess is (one of?) the last of the first generation of ring bearers. She was neither the first nor last of those who came in that generation, but she eventually became one of the few surviving. When new folk came to this world, those of the first generation immediately took under their wing a 'second generation'. Incidentally, this is when the idea of circles came into order. Groups of people to look after each other, and tackle the world as a team.

The second generation thrived in this matter. I was also part of a Circle when I first came to the world, very quickly brought under wing by the Circle of the Mire. But our enemies grew wise. They conspired to pit Circles against each other, and attacked each Circle one by one, systematically. The Circle of the Mire was considered the largest Circle, and it was destroyed first. I wandered in the forest since.

It was after this, the Steward created Providence. You are the third generation of ring bearers, one largely sheltered by the walls of this hamlet. The Steward has evaded many perils, and grown incredibly strong in her time. Now she has created a bastion against evil, a booming echo and evolution of the Circles of yore.

Make use of it. You never know when there will be a fourth generation.

PMEmail
^
Amemarteau
 Posted: Aug 20 2016, 04:50 PM

played by Me
246 posts
> 1 years old
OOC account
Amemarteau

Report: Season 0 (The Bogeyman)

narrated by Kunlong

From within the Keep, I was chased down into its cavernous dungeons. A creature hunted us new arrivals, waiting in the shadows of the ruins to prey on us. It toyed with us, elevating our fear before devouring our terrified corpses. For over a month, only a scant few ringbearers made it to Providence, no more the warier of what they avoided.

But I did not avoid this ‘Bogeyman’. I hid with others, barely sane and trapped in the darkness of a buried mountain. A few of us did not survive the wait. A few walked out from our shelter, never to be seen again. Others had their minds wander forever.

After two weeks (I think), I heard noises outside. The first words of human beings in so long a time. It was then, I met Misaki, Chaz, and others. Not long after another part of their group dropped in, quite literally, embroiled in battle with the Bogeyman.

We fought to the death, but death came to the monster.

narrated by Ryan Teska

Ryan grouped up with Julius, Sae Run, Magnus and Light, heading into the underground searching for what they had been sent to discover. Illusions quickly set in as the Bogeyman appeared, throwing them all into darkness. Julius and Magnus disappear, while Ryan, Light and Sae face the Bogeyman.

Sae is kidnapped and Light is beheaded, leaving Ryan alone to chase the Bogeyman. He's convinced the majority of what's happening is illusions, and that the Bogeyman is actually a weak illusionist, allowing him to ignore Light's apparent death.

Wandering the tunnels, Ryan runs into the Bogeyman once more, embroiled in a fight with Konrad, Ryven, Frederick, Eden and Elliot. He immediately charges into battle, intending to kill the Bogeyman, but quickly discovers that it actually possesses far more power than he gave it credit for.

The fight becomes desperate, Ryan sustaining a wound to the gut, but powered through to begin using his brain in the fight. He set up fire around the area, reducing the shadows the Bogeyman could use, supported Eden after she lost an arm, and collaborated with Elliot to allow Frederick to unleash a huge surge of fire upon the Bogeyman - powerful enough to break through the floor of the tunnel they were in.

The new location added Misaki, Julius, Kunlong and Chaz to the fight, combining their powers, not backing down, they slowly wore down the Bogeyman until it finally died.

Part of a wounded and exhausted lot, the group made to leave, only to run directly into the Benefactor. Question time began.

narrated by Nagisa

Seeing the group that had assembled for the mission made me reflect again on the fact that people here are so eager to throw their lives away. It must be the lack of memories. Without things which we are afraid to lose, we risk it all. I see people eager to wield their powers, to test themselves. They desire to fight a strong enemy, and rebuff the idea of scouting cautiously. I cannot help but think that this is part of the design of the world. To die because we are willing, to be willing because we've lost our reasons to live. Horrifying. But this is the largest gathering I've seen since I arrived, and I must do my best to keep abreast of any new developments. One day, I will again see the face that I have long forgotten...

narrated by the Steward

When Misaki brought me its head, I remembered a time from before I thought to make a village. I remember some of the first years when I survived in this world, gathered with a scant few others and hunted by the forces of Chaos. This monster likened itself to a Bogeyman, an emblem of fear. The rings of victims it shows as trophies tell a clearer story.

The ’Bogeyman’ is not a unique creature. When a cannibal of rings develops a taste for it, they lose their mind and soul alongside the remains of their physical appearance. They become twisted husks of themselves, more animal and monster than anything human.

Most prolific cannibals die after consuming too many rings. Their souls are torn apart, rebelled against by the vengeance of their victims. I fully believe monsters like the Bogeyman are not a natural consequence of this world, but a tool of Chaos.

PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry