9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Topic
New Poll

 The Old Road, Season 1 Episode 1.1
NPC
 Posted: Oct 2 2016, 05:05 PM
Quote



played by
47 posts
years old
OOC account
NPC
NPC •


J
ust outside the last walls of Providence, wagons of various sizes and loads settled their weight into the soft, dewy grass of the morning. Their horses roamed the open patches, though not far from their masters. The sun itself barely crept its first rays over the Irongate Mountains, but dozens of souls already stirred in the open field.

The Innkeeper examined each wagon, making one last check on their condition. The last thing he wanted was a broken wheel, a loose axle, or a rotting floor on one of wagons. An hour ago he ensured there was enough food for the horses, supplementing the field grass with stacks of barley by the gate.

And of course, for himself, Innes reserved the most essential of nutrients. From the same barley he procured for the horses, his majestic brew bubbled with yeast in its bottle. Innes prepared his senses for the upcoming danger in his… signature way.

There was a strict itinerary for getting out of the hamlet, and once the horses were secured to each wagon Innes would not delay. It was already time to secure them. It’d be half an hour before the wheels turned, and any idiot who couldn’t dress themselves in time would have to stay behind.

For they were going deep into the Shrouded Forest, and they could not afford laggers.

Two wagons were filled with lumber. Another had myriad construction tools, with two more sharing a load of masonry. Three more wagons had barrels of food and drink, with a not insignificant portion reserved for “Innes’ finest”. They had enough supplies, Innes expected, to complete a construction job with only minimal need for foraging and hunting.

Many other wagons, however, were empty. Most of them were small, barely larger than a chariot and designed to hold small groups, such as the budding Circles that populated Providence. A couple would hold up to two dozen folks, those volunteers who came to Innes or the Stewardess directly, rather than through a Circle.

And what did they volunteer for? To build an outpost. A colony of sorts, deep in the Shrouded Forest in a place only a select few remembered. But for most people, the most anyone knew about this destination was that it was on old swamp. They needed people to build a fort in a swamp, and more people to protect it and clear out danger.

Another few rays of sunlight clamoured over the tall peaks. It was about time everyone arrived, Innes thought. He needed people to strap up the horses, after all. It was hard to do it when he already had one hand busy with his stein.
NEXT UPDATE: October 9th! Please join this thread to show interest in the first episode of this Season, and you are not in a Circle!
PMEmail
^
Trevor Sullivan
 Posted: Oct 3 2016, 12:25 AM
Quote



played by Bloodright
90 posts
20 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Trevor Sullivan
Characters • Tailor


Trevor had been looking forward to this excursion for months. Now, it goes without sayin' that Trevor Sullivan wasn't of the outdoorsy sort. He wasn't especially partial to nature, and, to be frank, was quite irritated by how small and folksy Providence was. But then, that's exactly why he had been looking forward to this. He firmly believed that this outpost was the small hamlet's ticket to bigger and better things. After all, more trade meant more resources. More resources meant bigger market and more tech. And that meant more business. And business was his business.

Truth be told he'd have liked to have sent someone in his place. After all, what's he gonna do out there in the boonies, anyhow? But Trevor Sullivan was gettin' wise to the ways of this world, and knew damn well that his being there alone made their odds just a little bit higher. Or maybe more than a little. He wasn't sure how it all worked exactly.

"Mister Faulk, we about ready t' blow this popsicle stand?" Trevor said, surely jostling the innkeeper. But that suited him just fine. Innes would need his wits about him. And he wasn't going to find them at the bottom of that flask.
PMEmail
^
Kru'ha
 Posted: Oct 3 2016, 12:47 AM
Quote



played by Pwny
12 posts
22 years old
OOC account
Kru'ha
Characters •


She had only arrived a few days before, but Kru'ha was already jumping at the chance for an adventure. Even if she had trouble reading the announcement that had been posted in the town's square (and she still had her magically-inclined wariness of others), the gist of the words were plain enough — some of it was even the sort of thing she was good at; tracking and hunting beasts, protecting land, the kind of dirty work she excelled at. Still, a strong back and solid pair of hands would help in many regards, even if she did not completely understand what was asked of her.

"Swamp" was region she was unfamiliar with, but suggestions she had picked up seemed to imply that it was wet, soggy ground, so she decided to go barefoot for this excursion. Unlike others in the large village Providence, she had callouses thick enough to be soles in their own right. Barring stepping on any sharp rocks or spiny plants, she would be better off not muddying up her good footwear ('good' being relative in this light).

Warily she approached the caravan, remaining in the open so as not to startle the great beasts that pulled the wooden boxes on wheels. She had seen things like them back in her old life, before she'd been pulled here, but Kru'ha had not seen them so large before. There was a beauty to them, but she kept her mind on the task at hand. And her hands to herself, for now.

To her amusement she appeared to be one of the first, the only other two right now being an odd pair apart: one being the older man whom resided in the great sleep-house, with a flask of that fire-water concoction that she could smell even from downwind; the other a man in some white-black ensemble that looked even more utterly out-of-place than she, speaking words she would not have understood were it not for their tones giving away their intent. Certainly there would be others, but for the moment Kru'ha felt a bit awkward standing around, so she sidled over to investigate the beasts of burden.
PM
^
Antoine Henrot
 Posted: Oct 5 2016, 02:14 AM
Quote



played by Tamafry
36 posts
24 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Antoine Henrot
Characters •


Antoine was already very familiar with Innes, having supplied the Inn and Pub's supply of wine. While Innes favoured hops, Antoine preferred vineyards. Needless to say, he attempted to curate a wine list multiple times for the Pub, but was turned down on accounts that the Pub was 'not that kind of establishment'.

Despite enjoying the more luxurious things in life, such as fine dining, a respectable home and a beautiful fiancée, he was not without his share of toil and labour. Vineyards required hands, and cleared fields. The old crumbling house he found had to be remodelled, and he was familiar with construction.

It went to show that most of the volunteers did not know any discipline to them when there was so much work to be done.

He went immediately to fasten the horses after disembarking, and noticed this crudely dressed woman was admiring the equines. He did not bother with the other guy. Dressed to the nines in the morning, despite Antoine being equally guilty in dark, tea coloured slacks and an off-white shirt as though he emerged from a Regency-era drama, he could see that Trevor was a stranger to the idea of manual labour and provincial life.

"If you have time to look at horses, lend out a hand and fasten them." he barked at Kru'ha. As demonstration, he lead one of the horses and secured her to a wagon, making sure that she would be able to see how to do it. "Make sure that the fittings are tight, especially around the body, or they'll slip out. We have much work ahead of us if we are to build this fort on time."
PMEmail
^
Sun Dalei
 Posted: Oct 6 2016, 02:47 AM
Quote



played by Choco
8 posts
23 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Sun Dalei
Characters • Precipitous Poet


The path to the town had been far less interesting than the Keep, or so mused Dalei. Although the appreciation of nature clearly had the mandate of the Muses, there had been something otherworldly about the Keep that had made it a fascinating subject for poetic endeavors. Still, Dalei had obeyed his routine and come out into the morning sun.

Though it was a routine, he didn't quite realize it yet, as he had just awakened in...wherever this was. Not that it mattered. A new day, a new locale. To be whisked away to unfamiliar lands without the least effort was a great boon to this troubadour, although the lack of memories was slightly unsettling. Too much drink the night before, clearly. That would pass with time.

As he approached the walls, he saw that there was a convoy of some sort preparing to leave.

Arrive and depart
So does the dawn follow night
A sign from heaven.


Dalei drew close to the group and, upon seeing that everyone was dressing the horses, proceeded to assist without any real introduction. The movements seemed to come second-hand to him, and he decided that a long association with the beasts must've been in whatever he forgot. Truly, one blessing after another accompanied this day.
PM
^
Stuart Wells
 Posted: Oct 6 2016, 04:08 AM
Quote



played by Taurus
154 posts
20 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Stuart Wells
Characters • Problem Solver


While the numbers piled up of those ready to depart for the Shrouded Forest, some still bore the last loads of materials requested - the final deliveries arriving just before the deadline came. Amongst them was Stuart, having brought a number of iron railings from a nearby smithy.

As he deposited the stock with that others had brought, so others might take care of loading, he considered the caravan. It was known that the intention was to build a new outpost deep in the Shrouded Forest, something which had caught his attention. Having assisted in building construction, as well as being used to hauling large loads, it felt like he'd be pretty suited to helping out. And while outside of Providence the danger of monsters was higher, it wasn't like he was defenceless. Indeed, thanks to the testing Yew put him through, Stuart had come to appreciate his defensive powers were quite significant. Short of an absolute disaster, he would be fine.

Obviously, having had such a thought, concepts of what absolute disasters might befall immediately beset him. Should he go? Should he not? He checked the caravans and wondered that as he watched those gathered nearby.
PM
^
Alexandre
 Posted: Oct 8 2016, 01:31 AM
Quote



played by Gina
12 posts
20 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Alexandre
Members • The Gallant Knight


There was something very romantic about an expedition — it was a brave journey into the unknown to establish a foundation for civilization itself. Although she was a fresh arrival, Alexandre feared not the dangers of the coming expedition. She had much to learn about the world, and growing stronger would not happen within the safety of Providence's walls.

With an expedition came preparations, however. With preparations came work - gathering horses and packing crates wasn't her idea of a grand start to this adventure - it needed to be done, unfortunately. Dealing with the horses was preferable, and many of the workers would chuckle with bemusement at her single-minded determination to wrangle every last beast to the wagons come time for the great departure. She wasn't the best at this, that much was true.

There will come a time when you appreciate the effort you took to understand these noble beasts, The Knight reminded her, he sounded wistful. The way he referred to horses was kinder than his tone when discussing matters of other humans, at least.

Others arrived - ring bearers who wished to set out on the journey. What reasons they had, Alexandre did not know. She didn't take the time off to chat with them - she had a feeling there'd be plenty of talking time on the road ahead.

This post has been edited by Cat: Oct 18 2016, 05:35 AM
PM
^
Cherry
 Posted: Oct 8 2016, 12:02 PM
Quote



played by Doctor Tess
21 posts
22 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Cherry
Characters • Alchemist


An outpost in the swamp? Cherry couldn't help but be a little intrigued. The hustle and bustle of the town of Providence, small as it was, was not really their style. Forests tended to have much fewer people and much more cool nature shit. At the very least, the job would get them away from the town centre for a little while. It seemed like a no-brainer.

At least, until they remembered they'd have to actually work for it.

Ugh, whatever, they'd do it, but they wouldn't be happy about it. Determined not to lift a finger until someone actually directed them to do so, they stood off to the side and watched idly while others continued preparations for the journey into the forest.
PM
^
Nagito
 Posted: Oct 9 2016, 01:13 AM
Quote



played by Akemi
468 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Nagito
Characters • Better than You


[SIZE=3]A quiet sigh came out of his mouth as hands gathered what bit of hair he had and moved to the back, tying it together to form a stub of a ponytail. Rather than his usually glamorous appearance, it seemed as though Nagito already foresaw the fate of his clothing - He only had a simple, black, tube top aroung his chest and covering the upper part of his stomach, and a pair of hot pants that stopped a couple of inches above his knees. Despite all of his skin showing, on his feet were a pair of sleek yet sturdy looking boots, all laced up at the front. Another sigh escaped his lips as he looked through the crowd for any familiar faces, somewhat doubting that he would see any. He fingered at the strap of a rather bulky pack hoisted on his shoulders - he looked the farthest from pleased to be here, but at the same time resigned.[/color]


This post has been edited by Nagito: Oct 18 2016, 05:35 AM
PM
^
ARASHI
 Posted: Oct 10 2016, 01:45 AM
Quote



played by Ashnirai
11 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
ARASHI
Characters • Weaver of Worlds


the old road

DAY AFTER DAY, LIKE A LIFETIME AWAY, I KEEP HOLDIN' ON


Providence is still a difficult concept for Arashi to digest. Despite the part of him that feels comfortable in the way he has slotted into this world, steps in naturally with the rhythm of life here, the greater portion of him resonates with the dissonance of loss, adrift in the wide ocean with nothing but the barest of rafts to cling on to. Thoughts like this always perpetuate restlessness within him, but the danger associated with the outside has stayed his feet thus far.

The notice posted in the town square had incited curiosity and reignited his desire to move - a very potentially disastrous combination. Unfortunately, his impulse control seems poorer than normal with his sudden disassociation from his world, and with the lack of any duty or responsibility to hold him back, Arashi finds himself making his way towards the Shrouded Forest.

Upon arriving at what appears to be the meeting point, Arashi hesitates upon spotting the great number of people already present, none of which appear familiar to him in any way. Horses and carts mill around the clearing also, being saddled up. He would go to help - he really should - but he feels... a certain degree of intimidation regarding the confident movements of the others. Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea after all...

Ah, but it's impolite to do nothing. Quietly, Arashi moves to a cart to the side of the clearing and beings to load it up with the cargo. This, at least, he can do.

251 WORDSTAGCuriosity is such a killer
PHARAOH LEAP.
PM
^
NPC
 Posted: Oct 15 2016, 08:02 PM
Quote



played by
47 posts
years old
OOC account
NPC
NPC •


I
nnes did not hide his disgruntling, grimacing at Trevor like some delinquent caught in the act. The jostling could and should, yet here Trevor was interrupting him. Oh well. Innes quietly took a long glance over the horses before answering him, “Ten minutes. Eight if you want to help fasten the horses.”

The horses didn’t concern the Innkeeper much. They were all horses. They knew their place in the world, or rather knew little more than being a horse. Guys like Trevor though… and Innes could see Antoine already pushing others to help out… they had ambitions. Who knows what they’d end up doing, and where they’d want to go. He couldn’t put as quickly a time on their heads for when they’d be ready for anything. That’s why he kept an eye on the ringbearers more than the horses.

In no time at all, the number of people began to outnumber the horses. Now, Innes would put down his mug. He dropped to the ground from his barrels and shouted to the folks, “Listen up! Gather in the empty carts. Large ones for you volunteers, the small ones for the Circles. If you can help fasten a horse, do it. If not, get on the wagons and stay put until we embark.”

Minutes later, they were on their way. They had the supplies, they had the people, and now there were deadlines to meet. Daylight was precious.

The numerous wagons were packed close to one another, despite the narrow road to the Shrouded Forest. It would be dangerous of the front of the train could not see the back, although Innes had a keen enough eye that they could afford a little leeway. Innes remained at the front of the train, riding on his own horse with quiver looped around the horse and gnarled bow in one hand.

For most of the journey through the forest, Innes spoke few words. Most of what he said was “Stay by the cart” or “Shut up, I hear something”, with only silence to follow his words. It seemed the forest would remain quiet today. A good thing, considering Innes could only pick out a handful of competent fighters from his stock. It was a dark thing to admit, but Innes did not feel overly compelled to save people who couldn’t save themselves.

After an extensive day of travel, the forest had thickened to the point they could only run the wagons through single-file. Up at the front with Innes, an overly eager half-fae swung his axe with wild abandon, hacking apart myriad knots of overflowing roots and thick bushes. Innes directed him where to swing, and more often than not a new part of the path opened to them.

“Have you been to this place before?” the faerie asked of Innes.

“A long time ago,” he said simply. He refused to say more.

The sun, in due time, fell from the sky. They had yet to reach any swampland, and the travel was slow. The heavier wagons in particular had tired horses, and Innes’ own horse grew hungry and stressed. It was time to make camp.

Innes was not so afraid of the darkness that he would not make a fire. He unfastened the horses from their wagons and tied them along the encircling trees. He opened a handful of marked barrels, filled with rations and water and another with cookery. As he started his stew, Innes passed around buns and jerky to ease hunger in the meantime.

“Finally, an excuse to crack one open. Who wants a mug?” Innes exclaimed, tapping into one of his countless barrels of ale.
NEXT UPDATE: OOPS. Sorry for the two-week wait… Next update will come much sooner, on the 18th. This is your last chance to join the episode and the parts that follow it! Furthermore, Circle Members are allowed to join this thread so long as they are not in the Lightbringers.
PMEmail
^
Kru'ha
 Posted: Oct 16 2016, 06:45 AM
Quote



played by Pwny
12 posts
22 years old
OOC account
Kru'ha
Characters •


One of the more elegantly-dressed persons started shouting about the creatures, earning a glare from the huntress; still, she was no fool, and watched the man as he "strapped" the horses to their wagons. Kru'ha made sure her motions carefully resembled his, though she tried to calm them as she did, gently stroking their manes when they appeared nervous — they seemed to like that. She was warming up to these beasts, and almost felt a twinge of guilt at forcing them to shoulder extra burden. Another arrival

More kin arrived as she continued the ritual — some more enthusiastically than others — whom she watched from the edges of her sight and the occasional side-glance, though never long enough to forget her duty. Some appeared... ill-suited for their journey, but Kru'ha reasoned that they had to have their own reasons for being here.

Soon enough the convoy was loaded and everyone was instructed to pile in. Something about "circles" caught her ear, but she didn't know what that meant, so that likely meant she was supposed to take one of the larger wagons. Reluctant to be crowded to the back, she let others board first before taking the last available space in the last departing cart, her legs left dangling off the back as the wagon took off.


Eventually, Kru'ha found the motion disconcerting for a number of reasons. Combined with the incessant chatter of those she shared the cramped space with and the increasingly-oppressive atmosphere made her rather miserable, though she suffered in silence. So when the wagon train stopped and there was a call for camp, she eagerly hopped out, stretching out a few nasty popping joint along with taunt muscles.

The proffered food she eagerly took, though she wasn't terribly starving yet. Better to eat now than go hungry later, she knew. The frothed alcohol, which smelled far too much like a witch doctor's unguents for her comfort, she turned down in favor of plain water. Evidently, the huntress was not the only one hungry; one of the horses bit a chunk out of her bread when she strayed too close to it, for which she softly chided the beast for before quickly finishing the rest, lest another get similar ideas.

The grounds they had stopped on were unfamiliar, and the air stank of vegetative rot, but to Kru'ha it was preferable to being cooped up in a lifeless stone building. Or a wagon smelling of nervous sweat and a cocktail of different breaths. Her eyes panned around while nibbling on the jerky, idly taking in the surroundings as she listened to the sounds of the forest.

Part of her was tempted to explore, to see if she could find something for herself, but to stray far from the rest in such a place was likely a poor choice. That did leave the woman with nothing to do for the moment, however, which just made the need in her legs to move all the more apparent. That left her pacing irritably once the initial pleasure of being back on her feet wore off, possibly rubbing on the nerves of those around her.
PM
^
Stuart Wells
 Posted: Oct 16 2016, 10:46 AM
Quote



played by Taurus
154 posts
20 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Stuart Wells
Characters • Problem Solver


While the majority of people were gathered around the fires, Stuart could be found further afield, set atop one of the caravans. He'd go by there later, but for the moment he was doing something important. Something only he could. He was listening.

The power he had, to adjust sound around him, dim and heighten it, it was not easy to control. At times he could stretch his hearing out, focus at distant objects, yet at others it was constrained to a radius, not a point. The same was true for projection - when he discovered his ability to raise his voice and throw it at others, it had seemed like a powerful weapon. But it was unreliable. There were too many conditions to this power he still did not understand.

The only way to learn was to practise, that was his conclusion.

For now Stuart was here, separated from the crowd, focusing his powers. He was searching at distance, attempting to focus on sounds away from the noises of food, fire and people. Whatever might be beyond the range of the majority, he wanted to know. To help them, but also to hone himself.

It was quiet work, but he did not dislike it. He was simply here.
PM
^
Sun Dalei
 Posted: Oct 18 2016, 01:33 AM
Quote



played by Choco
8 posts
23 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Sun Dalei
Characters • Precipitous Poet


The ride had been a fairly interesting one. Dalei had the opportunity to observe his fellow travelers. Quite a few knew each other, which was to be expected. However, there were some others that kept to themselves. He wondered if they were naturally quiet, or new arrivals like himself? Regardless, there was traveling to be done, and he situated himself quietly in one of the large wagons after attending to one or two horses.

Their leader seemed to be quiet in his own way, at least during the ride. Perhaps this trip was more important that Dalei had realized. He had previously assumed that this was simply a trade convoy moving from one town to another, but that didn't quite seem to be the case. Perhaps there were bandits on the road? He patted his umbrella. At least they'd be safe from the rain.

When they stopped, Dalei accepted a drink gracefully, as well as a small helping of jerky. He drank, and looked around at everyone. One woman was just...pacing. Like a caged animal, almost. There was another person separate from the group, just sort of...doing something. Odd bunch. Not very 'caravan'-y. He wondered how morale would be going forward.

"If a group stays mute,
tradition is to converse
about the weather.

Nice day for traveling, isn't it?"
PM
^
Nagito
 Posted: Oct 18 2016, 02:09 AM
Quote



played by Akemi
468 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Nagito
Characters • Better than You


Nagito didn't need to be told otherwise. He clambered into one of the small carts, pleased that he wouldn't have to be sharing with too many people. Being in a circle seemed to pay off. He did several things during the rather dull travel - he curled his hair, grew it, and styled it perfectly. He changed the appearance of his clothing at least ten times, and at last he had brought out his make up and started putting some on, deciding that he was going to get a mini makeover. He made small talk with whoever else was in the cart with him, though nothing really came of that.

He was glad to finally have stopped, stretching as he got off. "Oh, me me!" He said excitedly and immediately went bounding over to Innes for some alcohol - otherwise he ate like a bird, nibbling on a little bit of everything and seemingly enjoying the meal.

"The weather is a booooring subject." He said to the man who talked in a certain rhythm, and though it reminded him of a haiku, he brushed it off - there was no way somebody would talk in haikus, right? "We can play truth or dare." Nagito said with a grin, and shuffled over to sit next to the strange, poem man.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Topic
New Poll


 


 

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry